These release notes are for vFabric Hyperic 22.214.171.124
- vFabric Hyperic 4.5 Downloads
- vFabric Hyperic 4.5 Features
- New and Changed Features in vFabric Hyperic 4.5.3
- New and Changed Features in vFabric Hyperic 126.96.36.199
- New and Changed Features in vFabric Hyperic 188.8.131.52
- New and Changed Features in Hyperic 4.5.1
- New and Changed Features in Hyperic 4.5.0
- Issues Fixed in vFabric Hyperic 4.5
- Issues Fixed in vFabric Hyperic 184.108.40.206
- Issues Fixed in Hyperic HQ 220.127.116.11
- Issues Fixed in Previous 4.5.x Releases
- Known Issues in Hyperic 4.5
Existing customers can download vFabric Hyperic 4.5 from http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vfabric_hyperic/4_5.
vFabric Hyperic 4.5 downloads are available to the public at https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=hyperic&lp=1.
Source code for Hyperic HQ, the open source version of Hyperic, and related Hyperic projects is available at http://git.springsource.org/hq.
The sections below describe features and changes introduced in versions of the vFabric Hyperic 4.5 release, starting with the most recent release.
- Internal tc Server Upgraded — The bundled tc Server in vFabric Hyperic is upgraded to v2.6.3.
- Admin account password changes require previous password — In Hyperic 4.5.3, to change the Hyperic admin account password, you must supply the previous password.
vFabric Hyperic 18.104.22.168 provides performance improvements, including reduced load time for dashboard portlets, and reduced agent overhead associated with metric scheduling.
- Failover — Data purge job now runs only on the master node when you cluster vFabric Hyperic servers to enable failover.
- Portlet Performance — Performance improvements for the Group Alert Summary portlet.
- Updated tc Server Plugin — tc Server plugin updated to support tc Server v2.5.2.
- Updated apache Plugin — Updated to provide better support for ERS 4.x.
- HQApi 4.3 — Hyperic 22.214.171.124 contains HQApi 4.3, a new version of the web services API. Changes include:
- A new API, groovyshell, allows you to run a Groovy script from the command shell.
- The alertdefinition API has new options:
- The alertdefinition list command has a new qualifier, agentId, for listing alert definitions for a particular agent.
- The alertdefinition sync command has two new qualifiers, enable and disable, for enabling or disabling all alert definitions in a sync.
- client.properties now supports encrypted passwords, and can be stored in either ~/.hq or hqapi1-client-n.n.n/conf. In previous versions, the APIs look for server connection properties in ~/.hq/client.properties; to use a connection properties in a different location you had to supply the path to the client.properties on the command line, using the --properties command qualifier. (Supplying the properties file location on the command line is still supported.) For more information about specifing connection properties in a file, see "HQApi Command-Line Tools" in vFabric Hyperic Web Services API at https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vfabric-hyperic.html.
- Key fixes — Hyperic 126.96.36.199 resolves a number of defects. Key defects that were fixed include:
- A regression in 4.5.2 that caused a "403 Forbidden" error in the Groovy Console.
- The availability calculation varied between the Indicators tab and the Metric Data tab.
There are no features in Hyperic 4.5.1 that are exclusive to vFabric Hyperic. The features and changes described below apply to both vFabric Hyperic and Hyperic HQ.
- Updated RabbitMQ Plugin — A new version of Hyperic's rabbitmq-plugin is included in Hyperic HQ 4.5.1 and vFabric Hyperic 4.5.1. For more information see: Monitoring RabbitMQ.
- Updated vSphere Plugin — A new version of Hyperic's vsphere-plugin is included in Hyperic HQ 4.5.1 and vFabric Hyperic 4.5.1. For more information see: Monitoring vSphere Components (Hyperic 4.5.1 and Later).
- Product Name Change — In Hyperic v4.5, the product formerly known as "HQ Enterprise" has a new name: vFabric Hyperic.
- Hyperic Server Architecture Changes — In vFabric Hyperic 4.5, the internal application server is tc Server 2.0.3, rather than Jboss.
- Built-in tc Server Management — tc Server management features are now part of vFabric Hyperic out-of-the-box.
- Hyperic Server Architecture Changes — Hyperic HQ 4.5 incorporates a number of architectural changes that enable improved developer productivity and better test coverage. The changes include:
- Hyperic Server requires Java 1.6.
- The EJB layer of Hyperic has been migrated to Spring 3.0.
- In Hyperic HQ, Hyperic Server's internal application server is now Tomcat 6.0.29, rather than JBoss. As a result:
- Mail server configuration is changed
- Server directory structure is changed.
- Hyperic Server launcher changes — The Hyperic Server launcher is now based on the Java Service Wrapper. Server startup is faster with the new launcher, and the use of the wrapper offers these advantages:
- On Windows, configuration changes are simplified: changes that previously required registry edits no longer do.
- In Hyperic packages that include an embedded PostgreSQL database, the embedded database is no longer a separate service to manage.
- Hyperic Database User Password Encryption — Hyperic HQ 4.5 supports encryption of the HQ database user password. The installer prompts for an encryption key (which must be at least 8 characters in length) and saves the value to in the conf/hq-server.conf file.
- New Plugins and Plugin Packaging
- New GemFire Plugin — Hyperic 4.5 includes a new plugin for managing GemFire distributed caching deployments. For more information, see Monitor GemFire.
- New RabbitMQ Plugin — Hyperic 4.5 includes a new plugin for managing RabbitMQ deployments. For more information, see Monitor RabbitMQ.
- New NetApp Filer Plugin — Hyperic 4.5 includes a new plugin for managing NetApp Filer. For more information, see Monitor NetApp Filer.
- Tomcat Servlet Plugin and Support Files are Removed — The deprecated servlet-plugin.jar and associated support files (which in previous versions of Hyperic were installed in the AgentBuildDir/product_connectors directory), are removed in Hyperic 4.5. Users who still use servlet-plugin.jar to monitor TomCat are encouraged to migrate to Hyperic's JMX-based plugin for monitoring Tomcat — tomcat-plugin.jar.
Hyperic 4.5 does not support servlet engine monitoring for Resin 2.x and JRun 4.x.
- Path to Hyperic Server's Plugin Directory is Changed — The directory where you deploy resource plugins on the Hyperic Server is changed from ServerHome/hq-engine/server/default/deploy/hq.ear/hq-plugins to:
- New Jar for Running Plugins from Command Line — In Hyperic 4.5 the utility for command-line execution of HQ resource plugins is AgentHome/bundles/agent-VERSION/pdk/lib/hq-pdk-4.5.jar. (Previously, the utility for command-line execution of HQ resource plugins was AgentHome/bundles/AgentBuildDir/pdk/hq-product.jar).
The sections below describe issues fixed in versions of the vFabric Hyperic 4.5 release, starting with the most recent release.
Note that issues listed as fixed for Hyperic HQ are also fixed in vFabric Hyperic.
|Issues Fixed for Hyperic HQ 188.8.131.52 (4 issues)|
|HHQ-5495||Closed||Issue inititializing JAXBContext|
|HHQ-5492||Closed||Allow resources to be filtered from RuntimeReport|
|HHQ-4849||Closed||JMX mbean services don't report as down when the mbeans are not reachable|
|HHQ-3582||Closed||Cannot delete user which was used to create other users|
- Issues Fixed in vFabric Hyperic 4.5.3
- Issues Fixed in Hyperic HQ 4.5.3
- Issues Fixed in vFabric Hyperic 184.108.40.206
- Issues Fixed in vFabric Hyperic 220.127.116.11
- Issues Fixed in Hyperic HQ 18.104.22.168
- Issues Fixed in vFabric Hyperic 4.5.2
- Issues Fixed in Hyperic HQ 4.5.2
- Issues Fixed in vFabric Hyperic 22.214.171.124
- Issues Fixed in Hyperic HQ 126.96.36.199
- Issues Fixed in vFabric Hyperic 188.8.131.52
- Issues Fixed in Hyperic HQ 184.108.40.206
- Issues Fixed in vFabric Hyperic 4.5.1
- Issues Fixed in Hyperic HQ 4.5.1
- Issues Fixed in vFabric Hyperic 4.5.0
- Issues Fixed in Hyperic HQ 4.5.0
|Known Problem With Windows Installations|
If Hyperic HQ 4.5.1 or vFabric Hyperic 4.5.1 is installed in a directory whose name contains spaces, for example "Hyperic 4.5", HQU and HQ resource management plugins fail to load upon startup of the Hyperic Server. To solve this problem, uninstall the Windows server uninstall windows service using hq-server.bat remove, remove the installed files, and reinstall the server in a directory whose name does not contain spaces.
|Known Problem With Operations Center|
Due to a known problem, the Operations Center page in the vFabric Hyperic fails to load or refresh in vFabric Hyperic 220.127.116.11 and later.
Note that issues listed for Hyperic HQ also exist in vFabric Hyperic.
- Known Issues in vFabric Hyperic 4.5.3
- Known Issues in Hyperic HQ 4.5.3
- Known Issues in vFabric Hyperic 18.104.22.168
- Known Issues in vFabric Hyperic 22.214.171.124
- Known Issues in Hyperic HQ 126.96.36.199
- Known Issues in vFabric Hyperic 4.5.2
- Known Issues in Hyperic HQ 4.5.2
- Known Issues in vFabric Hyperic 188.8.131.52
- Known Issues in Hyperic HQ 184.108.40.206
- Known Issues in vFabric Hyperic 220.127.116.11
- Known Issues in Hyperic HQ 18.104.22.168
- Known Issues in vFabric Hyperic 4.5.1
- Known Issues in Hyperic HQ 4.5.1
- Known Issues in vFabric Hyperic 4.5.0
- Known Issues in Hyperic HQ 4.5.0